Last Updated on December 31, 2020 by admin
In this post, I am going to discuss the simplest and tested solution to merge large volume of PST file into a single Outlook PST file. There are many users who have lots of PST files stored on their system and want to merge all PST file into one to manage them efficiently without risk of data loss. To overcome the problem of data loss or corruption and data security issues, the PST merger is the best way. Before we reach to the working process of the various methods, let us first, know about the Outlook PST file. So, let’s begin.
What is a PST file?
PST (or Personal Storage Table) is an Outlook data file that is used to stores various data items like emails, contacts, calendars, events, tasks, and other items.
Need to Merge Outlook PST files
MS Outlook is the most popular and used email client by the users around the world. It is widely used by businesses small and large for information exchange. Without a doubt, the normal user receives and sends multiple files on a regular basis everyday and this can lead to data loss or risk data management. To resolve this problem, Outlook data files must be combined for simple search and management purposes.
The other reason behind merging old or an archived PST file is the email account associated with MS Outlook. A user can use more than one email account on this email client without any type of issue. Each email account has its own PST file attached to the account as a data file. Many PST files are created for many email accounts, thereby messing up all tasks and slowing down MS Outlook.
Now, the question arises in the mind that – how to merge PST files in Microsoft Outlook. So, here are the ways to merge or combine PST files, but before discussing the process, you need to know about the benefits of Outlook PST merge which is listed below:
Advantages of Merging PST files
- Superb Speed:
If your Outlook PST files are managed properly, then it will speed up the search and retrieval process, which means you never have to wait long to open a single file.
- Well-maintained PST files:
Once the PST files are arranged after merging, it is easy to manipulate or manage.
- Multi-collection of PST files:
When you merge the PST file, all your PST files get together in one place from different location for easy access.
- Instant Switching:
The PST file merging procedure helps to quickly switch any PST files to a new updated Microsoft Outlook version.
- Clean extra occupied space:
After the PST merge process, it will automatically reduce the space occupied by the PST file by deleting duplicate PST files. This increases the process quality and frees up the storage space occupied by the PST files.
Manual Solution to Combine PST Files into One
You can Merge PST files manually by following two processes;
- Create a new blank Outlook PST file.
- Import PST files into newly created PST files (blank).
Part 1: Create a new blank Outlook PST file.
- Open Outlook application on your system.
- Click on Home menu → Select New Items → click on More Items options
- After that click the Outlook Data File option.
- Select a location to save the new PST file,in the Create or Open Outlook Data File window, and Click OK.
Part 2 – Import PST files into newly created PST file (blank)
Once the file creation is complete, you can choose the MS Outlook import option to import all the PST files into the new PST file one by one. Follow the Import PST File option by following the simple steps below.
- Go to ‘File’ menu and click on it, then press on ‘Open’ tab and Choose ‘Import’ option.
- Click on ‘Import from another program or file’ option in the ‘Import and Export Wizard’ dialog box and after that click the Next button.
- Now, click in the Import file window on Outlook data file (.pst) and then tap on Next
- Then click the Browse button to select the PST file that you want to import into a new PST file. Also choose other options (if necessary). Click the Next button.
- Now select the mailbox folder that you want to import into a new PST file. In addition, you can choose other options as needed. Click the Finish button
- Once the process start, the software will import PST files into the newly created PST files successfully.
Limitations of PST Merge Manual Procedure
Below are some of the limitations of using the manual method to merge Outlook PST files as shown below:
- The manual procedures depend entirely on the size of the PST file and the number of PST files you want to merge.
- The manual process is very tedious and can easily confuse the beginner.
- Corrupt or damaged PST files are not supported by the manual method.
- It is not a safe solution to merge PST files without any data loss.
On this blog, I have explained the process of manually merging PST files into one in Outlook using step-by-step procedure. In case you are unable to merge your PST files using this manual solution, you can use a third party tool like PST Merger Software that enables users to merge several Outlook PST data files into one within couple of steps. It supports both ANSI and Unicode files and offers three options, i.e. Add PST file, Add PST folder to combine PST files in MS Outlook. With the help of the best PST merge tool, you can easily perform the merging process without any restriction on merging of any data/file/folder between Outlook PST files or on file size.