Last Updated on December 31, 2020 by admin
If the size of the PST file exceeds the maximum file size limit, it can lead to inconvenient data loss and bad data item situations. The continuous growth in Outlook PST file is always a headache for the Outlook users. To get rid of data loss or corruption and data security issues, the splitting large PST files into several smaller PST file is the only option. Users can split oversized Outlook PST files either by any third party PST Splitter Software or some manual technique. In this blog, I have discussed the need to split Large PST files, and the various processes to split large PST files within few simple steps.
Why do we need to Split Large PST File into Multiple Smaller Parts
There are many reasons for the PST file to be split into several smaller PST files. We have listed some of the most common reasons below:
- When the Outlook PST file exceeds its file size limits, then the Outlook starts responding slowly. To avoid this situation users are require to split their large PST files into small pieces.
- Users cannot be able to send or receive new email messages, once the large PST file exceeds its allowable limit.
- To avoid data loss due to an oversized PST file, it is necessary to split the large PST file into smaller files.
Manual Methods to Split Large Size Outlook PST File in Small PST Files
Unfortunately, Microsoft Outlook doesn’t have a built-in utility to split Outlook PST files in Outlook. So, I’m going to share with you some of the manual ways by using which you can easily split/divide large PST files into small PST files.
Method 1: Reduce Size of PST file Using Archive Feature
You can use the archiving features to split oversized Outlook PST files into smaller and manageable pieces within couple of steps. Just follow the steps mentioned below:
- Open Microsoft Outlook
- Go to the File tab
- Click Info → Tools → Clean Up Old Items
- Select a Folder to archive, choose a date in Archive items older than box and click Browse to save archive file at desired location
- Select a folder to archive, select a date in Archive Items that is older than the field
- Click Browse to save the archive file in the desired location.
- Click OK to exit.
Method 2: Use Import/Export Option to Manage Large Size PST File
You can divide large PST files into several small files with the import/export wizard. Follow all the steps below:
- First open MS Outlook, Click on File menu → Account Settings → Account Settings….
- After that a Account setting wizard will appear on the screen, click Add under the Data Files option
- Now enter file name and type as Outlook Data File (.pst). then click the OK button to continue
- New PST file is created, you can view new PST under Data Files
- Now click on the File → Open & Export → Import/Export as shown below
- Now an Import/Export wizard will open on the screen, select Export to a file option and click the Next button
- Now in Export to a file window, Select Outlook Data File (.pst) option and click Next
- Now here you have to select the required folder to export and also check the Include subfolders option. After that click Next to move further
- Now in Export Outlook data file window, click the Browse option and select the desired location to save exported file.
- Here you also need to click on Do not export duplicates items option and click Finish button
Method 3: Reduce Outlook Mailbox Size Using Move to Folder Option
You can also try move to folder option to split large PST file in Outlook. Here is the step by step process to perform this task:
- Open Outlook application then go to File menu → Account Settings → Account Settings
- In the Account Setting window, Click the Data Files tab and then click Add button to create a new PST file
- Now you need to visit the Home screen, open the default PST file and select the items which you want to move to a new PST file you created.
- To do this, click the Move button above and select the Copy to folder option
- Next, choose the PST file from the copy the selected items to the folder option and click OK
Here you can also delete the copied items from the default Outlook PST file to reduce its size.
Drawbacks of Manual Ways for Reducing PST File Size
All the manual methods that we have discussed above are absolutely free of cost, but these methods have some drawbacks to split large PST files into multiple smaller parts. Let take a look at some of its drawbacks mentioned below:
- The manual process of splitting Outlook PST file is very time-taking and confusing.
- There are high chances of data loss during the file splitting process.
- Users require lots of technical knowledge to operate the process.
- It does not give any guarantee of data integrity.
Solution to Split Large PST File into Multiple Smaller Parts
To split your large Outlook PST files in an accurate way, you can take the help of third party tool like PST Splitter tool which is the best and tested by experts. It supports the splitting of large PST files on the basis of size, date, folder and year. The software is equipped with high level of security as it divides the oversized Outlook PST files into multiple smaller parts without affecting the integrity and hierarchy of data. With the help of this utility user are able to split Outlook data files with all emails, contacts, calendars, tasks and other items.
Here in this blog, I have explained the manual method to split PST files into several small parts by using the step by step procedure given above with screenshots. As the manual method has many drawbacks, keeping this thing in mind I have also explained an automated method to overcome all the limitations. This software is 100% safe and guarantees the data integrity while splitting large PST file into multiple small and manageable parts. To know the software better you can try the demo version of this software for free to test its performance and efficiency before purchasing the software.